GEM Conference 2018: Past, Present and Future
4 September - 6 September£120 – £587
Past, Present and Future
Tuesday 4 September – Thursday 6 September 2018, Nottingham
To celebrate GEM’s 70th anniversary this year’s conference will be exploring how the landscape of heritage education has evolved over time with a look to what lies ahead for the sector.
We’re pleased to confirm the following keynote speakers:
• Rhian Tritton, consultant
• Beccy Speight, chief executive, Woodland Trust
• Tony Butler, executive director, Derby Museums
• Matthew Cock, chief executive, VocalEyes
• Nikola Burdon, relationship manager, museums, Arts Council England
• Esme Ward, director, Manchester Museum
• Sandeep Mahal, director, Nottingham UNESCO City of Literature
What have we learned from previous practices and how can we ensure a sustainable and vibrant heritage education provision both now and in the future? There will be a focus on current innovative practices, which challenge previously held norms and have adapted to an ever shifting financial landscape. We shall also consider what the future holds and look at how we take our shared learning forward.
The conference will approach this through three major threads:
- Sharing the learning from the heritage sector, with a focus on the evolution of our practices, audiences and outcomes.
- Exploring current ground-breaking programmes, challenging previous thinking and developing new models.
- Looking to future trends in heritage education, posing possible solutions and innovative working practices to address these.
The GEM 2018 conference will be of immense help to anyone involved in managing or delivering museum, heritage or cultural learning. We shall reflect upon the progress that we have made and the possibilities open to us, so that we can move forward together with renewed positivity. Most of all, we shall seek to empower the workforce, as the roles of learning and sharing in the lives of the public grow ever more important.
For more information and how to book, please visit the conference page on our website.
In partnership with…