The Hospital of the Blessed Trinity or Abbot’s Hospital as it is better known today was founded in 1619 by George Abbot, Archbishop of Canterbury as a gift “out of my love to the place of my birth”. It was not Abbot’s intention to provide a “hospital” in the modern sense of the word but a place of shelter for the elderly poor of the town – 12 single men and 8 single women – under the care of a resident Master. Nearly 400 years after the first residents moved in, Abbot’s Hospital continues to offer town centre accommodation within a sociable and supportive environment for local elderly people.
At Abbot’s Hospital, we hold very important archive and collections on the history of Abbots Hospital, the residents, George Abbot and the building. In addition, there are many records held at the Surrey History Centre. As Archive Research Consultant, you will be responsible for helping us deliver the research element of our anniversary project. This includes helping us better understand what records are held off-site, establish systems and processes for ongoing cataloguing of documentation, provide training to volunteers, all of which will feed into establishing a new Index of Documents system to make it easier for people to find and access records.
1. Cataloguing and related research of the Masters Ledgers and Archive and collections.
2. Management of a small team of volunteers who will support the research elements.
3. Training of volunteer group in cataloguing skills.
4. Lead volunteer research days to Surrey History Centre.
5. Advise and support Abbots Hospital trustees on how best to access, use and interpret archives.
6. Prepare the foundations of an updated Index of Documents system for user-friendly archival research. 7. Advise on the organisation and storage of material to encourage organisations to plan.
8. Help prepare a guide on the management and maintenance of our heritage assets.
We are offering a fixed term contract of up to £300 per day, with a maximum allowance of £9,000 all inclusive.
We expect that the appointed consultant or firm provide Abbot’s of a minimum of 30 days work over the period of March and October 2019. This will include work at the Abbot’s Hospital site, visits to the Surrey History Centre and home based work.
The appointed consultant or firm will report to the Master of Abbot’s Hospital, Mr. Michael McKechnie.
The full brief can be found here: Archive Research Consultant Brief December 2018.