About the role
The Royal College of Surgeons (RCS) Museums Department is looking for an excellent communicator and collections manager to join the team working on the delivery of the new Hunterian Museum and the Anatomy and Pathology Resource Centre. This is a unique opportunity to participate in the full re-display of the anatomy and pathology collection of 18th century anatomist and surgeon John Hunter (3,500 specimens), and the re-display of RCS Museums’ anatomy and pathology collections, used to support current medical training.
The successful candidate will have studied a bio-science subject to degree level, and preferably have experience of working with medical and / or natural history collections. They will have excellent writing and science communication skills and will be required to author clear and concise exhibition display text (labels, panels and AV), text for publications and collection catalogue entries.
The post-holder will also support the Project Curator in planning and executing the return of RCS Museum collections to RCS’s headquarters in Lincoln’s Inn Fields in 2020/21. They will undertake all aspects of collection management, including object cataloguing and location and movement control, using Adlib Collections Management System.
While working as part of a small project team the post-holder will often have to work autonomously in collection management.
- You will hold an undergraduate degree in bio-medical or natural sciences with a qualification in science communication or equivalent experience.
- Experience of working with museum collections, ideally in the field of natural history or medicine
- Subject specialist knowledge in a bio-medical / natural history field, and experience of writing and / or presenting science to a lay audience
- Excellent writing skills
- Good knowledge of anatomical terminology
- Good research and organisational skills
- Sound administrative aptitude, together with excellent IT skills including familiarity with standard Microsoft office applications
For more details and a copy of the full job description visit the Royal College of Surgeons Recruitment Portal.
To apply for this position please send a targeted cover letter and tailored CV to RCSHR@rcseng.ac.uk
If you have any questions about this position please don’t hesitate to contact our HR team on 020 7869 6104 or RCSHR@rcseng.ac.uk who will be more than happy to help or put you in touch with the Recruiting Manager.