Student Today, Museums and Heritage Workforce of Tomorrow
Guest Blog by GEM Evaluation and Digital Support Volunteer, Sabila Duhita Drijono
As a postgraduate student in museum education, I am constantly looking for opportunities to develop myself academically and professionally. While universities provide the space to explore theories and critical thinking in an academic setting, there are other things that I believe can only be learned beyond the classroom. Networking opportunities and up-to-date practical knowledge are few of the many things that I seek to upskill and prepare myself for the industry.
When I joined GEM, I immediately thought of it as the perfect platform to fuel my learning journey. I see it as a one-stop destination for museum professionals – especially those who are keen on the learning potential of museums, and a dynamic space for us to gather, share, and empower each other with a common passion in making museums more accessible, regardless of our years of experience. Coming from a non-UK background, I found it as an ideal starting point to delve deeper into ways the museum and heritage industry works in this country and also the right place to get my name out there and connect with like-minded people in the sector for future collaborations. In addition to that, with the curated list of resources, mentorship opportunity and job listings, GEM has been a great support to my independent learning and a gateway to kickstart my career.
With only £25 for a 1-year membership (which suits our wallet as students!), here are the benefits that you will receive:
- Digital copy of the twice-yearly GEM Case Studies.
- Priority booking for training events including online webinars.
- Free access to networking events and 1-hour webinars this summer.
- A minimum 20% discount on all GEM events and training courses.
- Access to our One to One mentor/mentee programme to progress your career.
- Monthly eNews with exclusive content, news and events, job opportunities and career case studies from professionals in sector.
- Dedicated GEM Area Reps across England, Wales, Scotland and N Ireland.
I look forward to seeing more fellow students in the community!
Join the exciting journey and let’s discover ourselves together – offer expires on 11 September 2020.